Monday, February 7, 2011

My tryst with the Mumbai police Cops

  One Friday returning from office I was cornered by the ever alert Mumbai traffic cop for breaking a signal. I was behind a bus and followed the bus turning right I failed to notice the light had turned red.


The traffic police man popped out from no-where like those advertisements popping out from the cricket ground in any match involving India on Ten Sports.  He stood in front of my car impervious of the dangers of standing in front of a 1 tonne projectile which was solely guided by a person fresh out of driving school.

Anyways I managed to bring the vehicle to a stop without either of us hitting the panic buttons. This is what followed.

I got down from the car resolutely deciding not to bow down to corruption and making up my mind to pay the fine. My idealistic wife seated to my left  egging me on like my long forgotten conscience.

The Cop : "Side mein khada karo"
I comply.
The Cop : "License dikhao"
I comply.
The Cop : " Signal toda hai fine lagega "
Me : "But main to bus ke peeche aa rahaa tha signal nahi dikha"
The Cop : "Nahin tumne signa toda aur tumko dekh ke doosre logon ne bhi toda."
Me : "Theek hai fine le lo"
The cop : "Hum log fine nahin collect kar sakte hain. License zapt hoga. Police chowky aake license lena hoga"
Me : (My resolution weakened a bit. I tried another tack). Aap chalomere saath chowky fine leke license de do.
The cop : "Sirf aap ke liye khada hun kya ?"
Me : "Theek hai fir "
The Cop : "Receipt fadu"
Me : "Theek hain"

The Cop : "Receipt fadu"
Me : "Theek hain"

The Cop : "Receipt fadu"
Me : "THEEK HAIN !"


He seemed disappointed and took my license giving me receipt which was valid for 15 days. I sill had doubts about by bravado but grinned through it and went home.

When  my friend heard of the incident he admonished me for surrendering my license to the cop. Looked at me through his worldly wise eyes, then proceeded to narrate various incidents where he had got off by paying 50 to 100 bucks. This further scared me and I muttered something about I did not want to encourage corruption trying to put on a self righteous tone.

On Monday after fretting under my newly acquired unlicensed status I proceeded to the police chowky. I reached there at 2:00 PM the cops were having  lunch and I had to wait. However the I was pleasantly surprised when after a 15 minute wait for them to end their lunch I got back my license without much fuss.  My ever practical wife ensured I took a receipt for the payment made.

All's well that ends well !!!

Hurray for a corruption free India ;)

Some useful Info
License Collection Timings : 12:00 to 5:00 PM
Fine for Breaking Signal : Rs 100
Be sure to collect your receipt.






































No comments:

Post a Comment